Here are some of the ways I go about looking for areas in my home that need some de-cluttering attention
- I set aside one day a week, usually Tuesday, to do my general housecleaning. On that day I keep a watchful eye out while working and write down the trouble stops in my trusty notebook so I will remember to come back to them later on.
- While puting away the clean laundry is a good time to have a glance around in the closets for any clothing items etc that haven’t seen the light of day for a while. Even if you pluck out just one thing every now and again it all makes a difference.
- Sometimes when I am looking for other stuff I may stumble upon something. Like the other day when getting my large cutting mat out from under the spare bed I found some old posters that aren’t ever going back up on any walls in my house if I have anything to do with it.
- Sometimes everyday conversations, actions or things I see may trigger random thoughts about something I had forgot that is hiding away in a box somewhere so I will either take action immediately or jot it down in my notebook for later on.
- Of course moving house is one of the greatest catalists for getting your butt into gear and really have a good clean up so the clutter doesn’t follow you to your new home.
- It may sound odd but sometimes I also kill a few minutes while I wait for the kettle to boil by checking in the kitchen/dining area for item I no longer use.
All of these actions take up very little time in your day but can make such a diffenence. Give it a try.