I read forums and posts on other blogs and I can’t help but think that people put themselves under too much pressure when it comes to decluttering. Below are a few suggestions I have to help release that pressure…
- The clutter didn’t appear overnight so don’t expect it to disappear overnight.
- Don’t look at the big picture it’s too scary sometimes.
- Pace yourself, there is no hurry.
- Don’t set a deadline.
- Save the hard to decide items until last. I find the further I get into this the more ruthless I become.
- Be rational, way up the pros and cons when it comes to what stays and what goes.
- One step at a time, whether that is one room one cupboard, one drawer or one item just so long as it is something at a pace you can handle.
- Give yourself a mental pat on the back with every item you send on it’s way.
- Stay focused on what you have achieved not the size of the task ahead.
One thing you must remember is to not replace the items you are getting rid of with some other thing that will soon become tomorrows clutter making your efforts useless because you are taking one step forward two steps back.
ITEM 113 OF 365 LESS THINGS