Well it had to happen. I had managed to get far enough ahead with the decluttering to carry me through my vacation and a couple of days out the other side. Alas, now I have run out of my pre-decluttered items and I have to declutter for real again. It wasn’t hard to find something considering I had lived without it all for a month and have long since come to the realization that we probably don’t need/want half of the stuff around here anyway.
While getting my jewellery box out of my bedside cupboard, I came across a pile of Rick Steves travel guides we had used on our last trip to Europe three years ago. I had kept them with the intention of using them to help make a scrapbook. In that three years, I don’t think I have even looked through all the photos we took let alone start making a scrapbook. At this point I am fairly sure that it isn’t going to happen so this pile of pages can go in the recycling.
If you are wondering why the book is torn apart there is a good reason for that. As you know travel light. We also carry a day bag with us when we go out sightseeing. In the day bag we carry a face cloth (micro-fibre), sunscreen, some ibuprofin, two water bottles and a few other incidentals. Because the travel books are heavy we separate out the sections of the countries we are going to visit and only carry those with us on the trip. When we are in a particular city, we only carry the section we need for that city and maybe a more comprehensive map if necessary. Since we usually buy the travel guides several months before a trip for planning purposes, by the time we have finished with them they are out of date so there is no point in keeping them in tact to pass on to anyone else. We got even smarter at light travelling on this trip and discarded the used parts as we went along to lighten our load. Some of the places we stayed had an area set aside where you could leave books to share so we left our guide book section relating to that city, maybe someone would find it useful.
It is amazing the useless stuff you find lurking in cupboards when you take the time to look. These books have been wasting space in that cupboard for years when I could have used that space for something more appropriate. Stuff can be such a waste of space. Think of a space in your house that you feel contains stuff inappropriate for the location. First of all declutter that space and then see if you can find a more appropriate space for the items that you wish to keep but seem out of place.
ITEM 272 OF 365 LESS THINGS
The object of today’s post
5 Things I am Grateful For Today
- Spring – I took my first walk around the neighbourhood today since being back and spring has sprung in my absence. I will take my camera with me tomorrow and snap some pictures of the lovely flowers and post them here for you soon.
- Salt & vinegar chips – MMMMMMMMMMM I love their salty, vinegary goodness. I think the pantry is calling me.
- Cameras – Where would my blog be without a camera. I would have to draw a picture of the item each day and wouldn’t that be hilarious. Actually I am not that bad at drawing so it may actually be OK but time consuming.
- Fresh Produce – I am making homemade pizza for dinner tonight. So many yummy ingredients, potato, basil, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, egg plant, mushrooms, red bell peppers (capsicum to us Aussies), feta & Parmesan cheese, garlic, rosemary out of my garden and much more.
- Bread Making Machine – I use this to make the dough for the pizzas.