A guest post by Cindy Bogard
What motivates you to declutter? Why are you doing it? I was thinking about this questions for myself and came up with these reasons, immediate and far-reaching.
- I want a clean house. I want to not feel ashamed or embarrassed, both of which I have felt in large measure in the past.
- I want to continue in my role of stay-at-home parent. Now while the parent part of that job is the most important, the cookin’ and cleanin’ come along with it. While my cooking’s good; my housekeeping makes me eligible for firing. I don’t want that.
- I have a beautiful home. I want people, including people in my family, to see and appreciate the home and to be able to use the rooms and furnishing in the way intended. (No more sofa = storage bench or formal living room = closet.)
- I want to decide at 2:00 on a Saturday that it would be fun to have friends come over and not have to scramble like a crazy women, yell at my family like a nut job, and make us all miserable.
- I want neighbors to drop by and me never to have to say, “Excuse the mess.”
- I want to find what I am looking for. Now. Without looking in more than one place.
- I want to know what I own, and I want to avoid buying duplicates because I can’t find things.
- I want my children to put away their belongings because they know where they go and where they can find them again.
- I want to be able to park my car in my garage
- I don’t know if this one’s possible, especially given number 9, but I want to take everything in my ugly outdoor shed, sort it, and store the “keep” pile neatly in the garage. Then I want to tear down my shed and use the foundation as the base for a large pond. Ahhh, doesn’t that sound nicer than a ugly shed full of a jumble of junk?
What’s motivating you to declutter?
ITEM 315 OF 365 LESS THINGS
I bought this album for a project about 7 years ago but never got around to doing that project and I don’t think I would ever use it so out it goes.
5 Things I am grateful for today
- A lovely parting gift from my old work friends – they know I don’t like clutter so they gave me a gift certificate for a whole body massage. I can really do with that at the moment after the tension of the last few weeks.
- Lunch out with friends.
- Hubby decluttering in the garage again.
- A cool evening breeze – I think a storm is on its way.
- A fridge clean out dinner – Anything left over in there tonight is going on our plates for dinner.