Hi folks, this week’s mini missions are going to center around keepsake items. You might be surprised at how many places in your home these little blighters are hiding. You may also be surprised to realize how many you keep just for the sake of it but don’t really care that much about. So, we are going to do a bit of a “don’t care enough to keep you” keepsake round-up. When contemplating each item, your first thoughts may go to the occasion/person/place that they remind you of and get you all sentimental. Don’t stop at your first thought! Take five deep breaths and channel your rational side for a few minutes and ask yourself…
- Do I want to continue dusting/cleaning/polishing this item?
- Is this item taking up valuable space in my home?
- Will not having this item affect the memories I have of this person, place or event?
- Does it mean more to me to have a decluttered home or to keep this item?
There is no right or wrong response to any of these questions. If the item truly is meaningful to you by all means put it back where you found it and keep enjoying it for years to come. If, however, you are on the fence as to whether to keep it or not consider other ways to preserve the memories without the clutter. You could photograph each item and preserve the memories in the form of…
- A scrapbook if you are a paper crafter.
- A photo picture book which you can put together and have printed via an on-line publishers such as Blurb.
- You could make a framed collage of the items and hang it on your wall.
- Save the photos to your computer for future reference.
- Print and place the photos in a simple photo album that you can pull out of the bookshelf and look at as often as you like.
Now on with this weeks mini missions.
- Monday – Today we are looking at any area in your living room where you display this kind of thing. It may be a display cabinet, TV unit, wall shelf etc. See what you can find.
- Tuesday – Today we are looking for an item of clothing that is kept for sentimental reasons but never worn. You know the kind, old band T-shirts, sports uniforms and maybe even a wedding or formal gown. Give some thought to whether you really want this item to perish unused in your closet.
- Wednesday – The bookcase is another place that we keep sentimental items. Do you have any books that you aren’t likely to read again but keep regardless. Now is the time to reconsider your hold on these books and possibly pass them on to someone else to enjoy.
- Thursday – The most obvious place for sentimental items is the keepsake box. I know I have at least one of these maybe you do too. Now is the time to review the items in this box and make sure you really want to keep them all.
- Friday – Sometimes when items are very small we overlook them as clutter so today we are going to take a look where we store our jewellery and see if there are some “sentimental” pieces in there that we might be willing to declutter.
- Saturday – Do your photo albums or digital photo files have pictures in that are such poor quality that they are not worth keeping. Photos that are similar to other better quality ones but you leave them there just because you are too sentimental to delete or throw them away. Now is the time to take a look and see which shots really are simply wasting space. Just one album or one photo file is enough for now.
- Sunday – Your task for today is to find a sentimental item anywhere in your home that you think is clutter but that belongs to someone else in the household. Ask them if they still want this item. It is OK if they do, the challenge here is just to ask.
Good luck and happy decluttering
Today’s Declutter Item
These pens and just a few of the many many things that will be weeded out of my craft clutter over the months to come.
Things I am grateful for today
- Quickly finding an angle for today’s mini mission list.
- All the happy blogiversary messages I received yesterday.
- The weather finally seems to have realised it is Autumn.
- A good night sleep – No wacked out dreams to disturb me in the middle of the night
- Steve is going declutter crazy on the bookcase – Yeh!
It matters not how fast I go, I hurry faster when I’m slow.