Last week I was interstate visiting my parents and my in-laws. There was a change of weather in my absence. Actually it had started turning prior to my departure, but I wanted to wait until I returned to deal with bringing down my box of winter closed from the top shelf of my closet.
Yesterday I began putting it all through a refresh cycle in my washing machine in preparation for wearing. This is a very handy steam cycle that takes care of any chance of allergy inducing dust mite while wasting very little water. Separating the items, hanging them out to dry, then folding and putting them away was a good opportunity to scrutinise each piece. After all that, I felt I have done a mighty fine job of decluttering in the past and am fairly satisfied with the quantity of items I have.
However, the wearing of the items will be the real test of whether they will all stay or some will go. I already have my doubts about one corduroy jacket. I have owned and used it every winter for eighteen years. Although it is of a style that doesn’t really date I feel it could do with a little modernising. However for me it has one fatal flaw, no pockets. When one is out and about in the winter there is always the inevitability that one will want to put their hands in their pockets to keep them warm. Or need to carry a tissue for that cold, runny winter nose. Every time I wear this jacket I lament the fact that it doesn’t have pockets. The question is ~ Do I want to go to the trouble of altering the jacket and add pockets at the same time, or would it be simpler to try to pick up a nice new jacket or perhaps a secondhand one at the thrift shop.
Keep in mind that I am no fashionista or participate in paid employment and don’t live in an area of really cold climate. I have…
- three pair of track pants ~ Just enough I would say.
- 3 white, two black and 1 red long sleeve T-shirt. Also just enough as these are my everyday clothes.
- 4 scarves of various colours and styles. I will observe these over the winter and decided whether to keep them all.
- 1 red casual cord jacket, 1 pink puffy cold day jacket, 1 3/4 leather jacket and the black cord one mentioned above. All for different weather and situations so they are all also safe for now.
- only 1 winter nighty, so it is also safe.
- only 1 long sleeve button up shirt. I could actually probably do with another of these.
- 2 tunic dresses for casual dressing up that go well with tights. These get well used each winter.
- 2 pair of black tights.
- 3 pair of plush bed socks. These are also well worn and in constant rotation.
- 3 pair of hiking socks, also well worn and in constant rotation.
- 1 pair of micro-fleece gloves.
- 2 fleece sweaters, which may not actually be enough.
- 1 fleece vest for those mid range cool weather days.
- 1 black knit cardigan.
- 2 pairs of boots, one ankle and one knee length, both black.
That is about it I think. Not too much, not to little. And nothing that doesn’t fit or that I am waiting to come back into fashion.
Can you do a stocktake on your incoming season’s clothing and honestly justify them all? If not maybe it is time you did a little of your own wardrobe rationalising.
Today’s Mini Mission
Declutter something made of metal ~ Once again plentiful. Tools, mixing bowls, utensils, pots, vehicle parts and jewellery all come to mind very quickly but I am sure you can think of more.
Eco Tip for the Day
Get your bank balance in the screen when using an ATM rather than a printed copy. Every little saving of paper and ink counts.
For a full list of my eco tips so far click here
It matters not how fast I go, I hurry faster when I’m slow