In the spirit of giving at Christmas I have compiled a list of non cluttering gift ideas. This list can also be used throughout the year for birthdays and other gift giving occasions. I have cut and pasted a list I compiled back on Day 199 and added some more ideas. If you have any other great ideas to add to the list I will be happy to include them and then make a page out of it that we can refer back when ever we feel the need. So get those good idea to me via a comment I am looking forward to your contributions.
- Cake (provide a cake for someone’s happy occasion)
- Baskets of
- Fruit (what could be more colorful or healthy than that)
- Treats (candy, nuts, crackers etc)
- Bottle of wine / 6 pack of Boutique Beer…
- A home cooked meal is always a treat for a special occasion
- Home made treats like jam, cookies, pickles etc
- Take them out to dinner/lunch/ breakfast etc
- Dining Out – coffee shop, restaurants etc
- Spa Treatments
- Hair cut/colour
- Travel Vouchers
- Even just a local train or bus pass so they don’t have to pay for their commute for a week or so
- Give a donation to their/your favourite charity in the name of the gift recipient
- Donate your time to help out a charity on their behalf
- Spend quality time together
- Do a favour that will save someone precious time
- ironing sessions *
- see also Automotive
- house cleaning chores *
- Child minding *
- see also Garden below
- Recharge a prepaid cell phone for more communication time
- Instead of sending a gift make a visit to someone far away as their Christmas gift.
- Doing some gardening for them
- Mowing their lawn *
- Prune bushes *
- Water the garden in dry weather or while they are away *
- Wash and detail the car *
- Pay for a tank of gas or give them a gas gift card
- Pay for a car service *
- Take and pay for the cars next emissions test *
- Arrange a get together with a group of friends
- Bring two old friends together
- Buy tickets to a show/event/movie
- Take them out to a show/event/movie
- iPod downloads
- Video store gift certificate
- Theme park tickets or annual pass
- Good old fashion cash
- Pay a bill for someone*
- A weeks rent
- Gym membership
- A calendar (Most people use one and you get a whole years use out of it before it requires recycling)
Note:- For ideas with * beside them – If the time is not right immediately to follow through on this gift make up a voucher and give to to the person in a card. Make sure you follow throw when the time comes.
Sometimes the best thing we can do is to just be there for the special day.
Item 343 of 365 less things
A collector plate that my mum gave me when I was living in America. It was nice to see the Australian wild flowers on it when I was so far from home but now I only have to go outside. So I don’t need it any more and it has been sold on eBay
5 Things I am grateful for today
- That I made the effort to go for a walk today- I have found far to many excuses not to bother walking lately and it is starting to show on my waste line. I think my frame of mind has been better today for making that effort and from getting some fresh air and sunshine.
- A friend calling to have a coffee with me today – Between hospitals, medical appointments and family it has been hard to get away.
- Libraries – I like being able to borrow books and magazines, it saves me money because I don’t have to buy them and I give them back when I am done so they don’t become clutter.
- A smaller ironing pile – I am not sure what has changed in our home but the ironing pile seems to be much smaller these days. I think it was from Steve decluttering his wardrobe of a lot of collared shirts.
- Leftovers – They are so convenient when you suddenly have to drop someone off somewhere when you should be cooking dinner.
It matters not how fast I go, I hurry f aster when I’m slow.