The word for today is…
Sometimes decluttering doesn’t mean getting rid of things altogether sometimes you just need to DOWNSIZE. For example here are a list of the items we have DOWNSIZED since the start of our decluttering process…
- We replaced a twenty something year old bulky stereo system with a new iPod docking station.
- We replaced an old laptop with an iPod touch so we don’t have to carry such a heavy item around with us when we are on vacation.
- We replaced our old computer tower with a new Apple Mac Mini which takes up so much less space.
- We replaced a big bulky computer desk with a lovely hardwood 1500 x 900 table. (The room looks so much less cluttered now).
- We have given away and sold a big chunk of our baseball souvenir collection to get it down to a more manageable size.
- We have digitised several old LP records and sold the physical copies on ebay reducing the collection.
- We have digitised a bunch of sentimental papers too so that pile is also significantly smaller.
I look at this list and I think we have made great inroads into the decluttering but I also know that we still have a long way to go. We will no doubt DOWNSIZE in some of these areas a lot more before we are finished.
You may be thinking that for someone who preaches about buying less stuff you sure have made some expensive purchases on that list. You would be correct and I sometimes feel guilty about that but it is all in the line of decluttering. Most of the items that were replaced had been used extensively and were sold on or passed on the someone else who needed them and may not have been able to afford them otherwise. I am OK with that.
ITEM 174 OF 365 LESS THINGS