Welcome to the first Mini Mission Monday at 365lessthings. Since I have already given you a list of mini missions to work on this week I have decided to give you one mission to think about while you are carrying our you those other tasks.
Your mission is to find something in your house that you no longer really want/use but something is holding you back from getting rid of it. I am sure you all have something that will come to mind immediately. There are several reasons that cause us to keep avoiding these items…
- Something that you want to sell rather than give away but you haven’t done anything about it.
- An item that you aren’t too sure about how to dispose of responsibly.
- Items that requires a series of tasks in order for you to part with them happily like digitising papers for instance. This will require sorting, copying, saving and shredding.
- Someone else’s sentimental value.
- A family heirloom that is more of a looming object.
- Perhaps something that is big and cumbersome that you need to have collected rather than drop off.
- It might be one of those “I may need it some day” items that you know you really don’t want taking up space but can’t bring yourself to part with it.
- Maybe your troubling item is a set of tools required for a hobby that you no longer do but the old “I spent good money on this” monster keeps making you cling to them.
- Maybe it is something from your childhood that you are clinging to for all the wrong reasons.
I want you to give some serious thought to this item and come up with an action plan. This might require some soul searching if this item has some psychological attachment for you. You may need to weigh up what is more important to you, the item itself or being free of its grasp on you. You may not be ready to part with this item yet but if it came to mind there must be something about it that troubles you to have it around.
Write down your thoughts about the item and ask a friend or family member to give you guidance about it. A third party can sometimes be more rational about things because of the history attached to us.
My item is going to be my trophy collection. My intention is to photograph them, remove the plaques and put it all together in a scrapbook page or two. I also intend to go to the trophy shop not far from my home and see if they have a suggestion as to how to dispose of them. I would like to think that they may be able to use the parts or know of some organisation like a drama society who might be able to use them as props. I have put this off for months now but the day of reckoning is nigh. As you can see this involves both the #2 and #3 degrees of difficulty mentioned above.
Well good luck and don’t forget you can always ask the community here at 365lessthings for our opinion, we are always happy to help.
Today’s Declutter Item
Another pair of shoes, mine this time. Every time I wear them I feel a rather uncomfortable lump under my right foot. Like yesterday’s pair I will donate them to charity and hope they are more suited to someone else. They are a cute pair of shoes after all.
Things I am grateful for today
- A lovely long walk at the beach – The weather was closing in but that just made it more interesting.
- Crafting – I have been doing quite a bit of that lately and I am enjoying it.
- The weather being a little cooler today and now there is a thunder storm rumbling in the not to o far away. I love thunder storms.
- Getting some good post ideas from some comments I received today.
- Taking time to stop and smell the roses – and having a neighbour who doesn’t mind you stealing them while he is away.
It matters not how fast I go, I hurry faster when I’m slow.