While going on my morning walk today I was outraged to see some of the stuff people have put out on the street for Bulk Waste Collection Day in our neighbourhood. I would rather not dwell on it at the moment because it put me in a rather negative frame of mind and I am trying to get something positive out of it. I will be sure to explain my outrage in an upcoming post just in case I have tweaked your interest.
Rather than be negative I decided to get on my computer and Google subjects to see how much information I could find on charities and recycling opportunies in my local area.
It was no challenge! Here are the [subjects] I searched for and how successful these searches were.
*I have substituted the name of the town I live in with [my town] because I don’t want to give away to much private information about myself. The links I have added are Australian but I am sure you will similar sites in your country.
- [my town charities] the list was extensive.
- [my town recycle centre] and among the many options I found this little gem. Recycle Centre
- some well known charities eg. [salvation army] which gave me phone numbers for info and donation pick up hot line and also a search option for where a local drop off is nearest to me.
- [my town computer recycling] amoung others I found a web site Byteback who take care of these types of unwanted items.
- [my town green waste] and again a long list of option in my area for taking care of garden clean up.
- [my town city council] had a whole section dedicated to waste with this little gem, recyclingnearyou.
There is a charge for some of these services but it is better than the alternative of them just going to waste.
So really there is no excuse for throwing away perfectly good items or even broken items for that matter because there are all sorts of ways to re-use and recycle that you may never have even thought was possible.If people are puting computer parts and desks on the street they obviously must know how to use one so I wish they would just Google their stuff away instead of leaving it out in the rain to be ruined.
I was amused by the irony of a sticker I saw stuck on the side of an old TV on the curbside, it read…
DON’T BE A TOSSER EVERY PIECE OF LITTER IS HARMING THE ENVIRONMENT
My Give Away-Thow Away-Sell count just goes to prove you don’t have to be wasteful.
ITEM 140 OF 365 LESS THINGS
The last of the eBay ski gear auctions this pair make $20.60